Ten MEDIA supported films triumph at European Film Awards
Now in its 31st year, the European Film Awards - dubbed the arthouse Oscars(R) - announced the recipients of its top prizes in Seville on Saturday night at a rallying ceremony, where mention of Brexit was not bypassed.
It was a triumphant night for Pawel Pawlikowski’s monochrome Creative Europe-backed drama Cold War, coming away with five prizes out of the six it was nominated for, including:
- Best European Film
- Best Director for Pawel Pawlikowski
- Best Actress for Joanna Kulig
- Best Screenplay for Pawel Pawlikowski
- Best Editor for Jaroslaw Kaminski
Elsewhere, Creative Europe-supported titles enjoyed great success, receiving the following awards:
- The Death of Stalin (UK, France, Belgium) - European Comedy
- Girl (Belgium, The Netherlands) - European Discovery / Prix Fipresci
- Bergman - A Year in a Life (Sweden, Germany) - European Documentary
- Another Day of Life (Poland, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Hungary) - European Animated Feature
- Dogman (Italy, France) - European Actor, European Costume Designer, European Hair & Make-Up Artist
- U - July 22 - European Cinematographer / Prix Carlo Di Palma
- 3 Days in Quiberon (Germany, France, Austria) - European Composer
- Border (Sweden, Denmark) - European Visual Effects
- The Captain (Germany, France Poland) - European Sound Designer
Ralph Fiennes, accepting an award of European Achievement in World Cinema spoke of collaboration and cooperation being the cornerstone to filmmaking;
“Our differences of language, culture, custom and our common humanity. I believe filmmakers are unifiers. Our work is by definition collaborative; it has to be to survive."
Chiwetel Ejiofor in his presentation of the European Film award also paid tribute to the spirit and community of Europe.
“Standing here tonight, you can feel the power of Europe. The power of creativity. There are lot of scary things going on in the world. Which is why we, more than ever, need each other."
Ultimately the awards remained a resonant celebration of the best in European cinema this year. You can view the full list of winners on the European Film Awards website.
Image: Pawel Pawlikowski and producers Ewa Puszczynska and Tanya Seghatchian onstage at the 2018 EFAs collecting their award for Best European Film. Cold War received Creative Europe funding through the Development and Automatic Distribution schemes.
18 Dec 2018