Can the British Council find me opportunities to perform music overseas?+

No, but if you have a project or performance that you believe may be of interest to us then please let us know about it and how it develops together with any UK performances you might have planned. We watch lots of UK shows across genres so that, if an appropriate opportunity arises, we are aware of current work and can get in contact with people whose work chimes with ours. There is also a list of current opportunities across art forms here and you can read more about overseas music opportunities in our research report, Going International, published in May 2016, which also introduces the main funders and supporters for UK artists including PRS For Music Foundation and BPI (the British Phonographic Industry).

I am an overseas agent/manager/artist who wants to perform in the UK. Can you promote and/or fund a tour?+

We are not a funding body or a promoter so we cannot fund or promote UK tours. Our work is mainly with UK artists working overseas. We are occasionally involved in collaborative projects in the UK involving overseas artists but this happens as a result of long-term collaborations overseas.

I want to travel abroad to develop my work/career. Can you support me?+

We don't hold funds for this but we do recommend you check out the latest arts opportunities here

I would like to attend a showcase overseas to network or promote my work (for example SXSW or Womex). Can you provide a travel grant?+

We cannot provide a travel grant - while the British Council will sometimes facilitate overseas promoters visiting the UK to see live music, there are other funding bodies which provide financial assistance in the other direction. Check out PRS FoundationArts Council England (ACE)Creative ScotlandArts Council of WalesArts Council of Northern Ireland and the Department for International Trade

I've been invited to perform at a festival/venue overseas. Can you provide funds to cover travel or accommodation?+

We are not a funding body and are therefore unable to respond to requests of this kind. However, it is always worth suggesting the promoter contact the local British Council office in the country you've been invited to in case they can offer some support. You can also let the British Council's Music team (based in London) know about your invitation so we can liaise with the local country office as necessary.